<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Rambler :: blog

Friday, July 22, 2005

Helena Tulve 

*****THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER LIVE*****
To read this post and the rest of The Rambler in its current incarnation please click here. Thank you!*****
My New Favourite Composer for the week. I came across her name as her piece Sula was last year's selection by the UNESCO International Rostrum of Composers. Her site includes .ram and .mp3 format extracts of some of her pieces, and I like them a lot. Rolling waves of sound, chant inspiration (although, to much relief, not copycat versions of her compatriot Arvo Pärt's chant-inspired pieces), a gritty, tectonic approach to sound and structure, Eastern Europe.... In other words, My Kind of Thing. I can't see any mentions of commercial recordings at this stage, but I'm sure Sula at least will be available before too long.


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License. All non-proprietary code is valid XHTML.