<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Rambler :: blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Me me me: Meme me 

*****THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER LIVE*****
To read this post and the rest of The Rambler in its current incarnation please click here. Thank you!*****
So, The Standing Room has passed on to me one of the many meme batons doing the rounds at the moment.... [Cracks knuckles] Right...

Total volume of music on your computer?

I've actually got two computers with music on them - a desktop Mac and a company laptop. The Mac is telling me 1626 songs (8.59GB); the laptop is much less than it was since I filled up the harddrive over the weekend and had to delete a bunch of stuff; they're mostly CD-length mixes cos that's the machine with the burner. I don't tend to put much music on my computers - at my desk I listen as much to minidiscs (I have dozens of those) as anything.

Last CD you bought?

Erm. It was either Public Image Limited Metal Box or Tadeusz Baird Dzieła [Works]; both were from eBay. Last record bought was Giorgio Moroder's soundtrack to Midnight Express from a local charity shop.

Song currently playing?

Boom Boom Bashment mix by John Eden and Paul Meme.

Five songs I listen to a lot or that mean a lot to me?

Martha and the Vandellas: 'Dancing in the Street'. Along with 'Superstition' and 'I Want you Back' this is a permament fixture on my desert island list. It gets the nod here because it's the one I'm listening to most at the moment.

Olivier Messiaen: Turangalîla-Symphonie. Stretching the definition of 'song' somewhat, but since first hearing this as a teenager this has long been one of my favourite 20th-century works. When I first played it to milady and she laughed out loud at the orgiastic bad taste extravaganza of the finale, I knew she was special.

Gene: 'Does he have a name' (from Libertine). A lost pinnacle of the post-Britpop years and a magnificent song, one that forges a perfect alliance between music and lyrics. The strings at the fadeout, whose harmonies distort and damage the musical space, are the perfect image of a heartbroken man fighting to keep his composure. Gets me every time.

Penderecki: St Luke Passion. Something of an odd one this, as it probably wouldn't ever share my desert island with me, but as one of the central planks of my thesis it certainly figures as both something I listen to a lot and that means a lot to me.

Manic Street Preachers: 'Motorcycle Emptiness'. The favourite song of a close friend who is no longer among us.

Five people to whom I'm passing the baton?

Much as I like receiving them, I hate imposing these things on people so I'm going to duck this one - rather than single anyone out anyone that wants can follow on.


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License. All non-proprietary code is valid XHTML.