<$BlogRSDUrl$>

The Rambler :: blog

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Nonpop 

*****THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER LIVE*****
To read this post and the rest of The Rambler in its current incarnation please click here. Thank you!*****
More behind-the-times linkage from me. Helen Radice is a harpist, whose blog twang twang twang is rather good, and has been going for about 7 months unnoticed by me. Whoops.

Which reminds me that back in October last year, when I decided to pour more nonpop* into this blog here, I was lamenting the dearth of decent writing on 'classical' music on the web. Well, thankfully that situation - despite my best efforts to bring down the average - is changing. When I've got a bit more time, I'll post a quick summary of those blogs I'm aware of. For the time being, have a nose around on the links bar - most of them are there (and if you're not, you will be soon ...).

*I've just seen Dennis Báthory-Kitsz - of the ace Kalvos and Damian's New Music Bazaar - use this word over on Critical Conversation and I like it, so I'm going to use it more often. It has a kind of Joycean obtuseness about it, deliberately awkward and oppositional, which seems to fit nicely, as well as being the closest thing to a genre definition (ugly things, I know, but we can't do withour 'em) of classical-ish music I know that actually has anything to with the actual qualities of the music. It's unpopular. It's awkward, it's difficult, it's not immediate. You have to re-read it. Nice one.


This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License. All non-proprietary code is valid XHTML.